Sunday, February 22, 2009

Heart

This is something I've wanted to post for a long time. I grew up in a nice small town in Ohio. The further I'd drive into the Appalachian hills another world would emerge. I've gained a huge love and an understanding for this area since I moved here. Where stereotypes and judgment once were, now are desires to help these children reach the potential they have. Not change them, but help them gain the quality of life to have safety, security, health and education; things all people deserve.

I honestly and truly love it here. I'm a country girl, and there is no absence of country. I've learned a lot about communication. I've learned that words mean little. Peopl
e emanate love that is hard to recognize through the tough exteriors and harsh voices. But when that love is seen there is no choice but to recognize their standing as children of God. There is no difference between them or any other human, other than these children were raised in a different environment. The children here often have a look in their eyes that they have seen too much. By the time they reach adulthood they have found ways to board up their souls from hurt, and their pride can make them bitter. These experiences are common throughout all society, but are ever so prevalent and common throughout these hills. There is a better way. A happier way. One of joy.

I'm not quite sure what I can do to help other than be an example, and teach my students what I can. I've started a notebook a while back of ideas to help this area, and I have hopes to someday do a greater work. Also, I listen. Everyone has a story they want to be heard. This documentary was so great. I couldn't stop watching it. It reminded me of so many families here, and even of some of my own extended family. It’s long, but true to life. This is 1 of 10, so you’ll have to click on the next ones at end. Let me know what you think!


1 comment:

Christyn Caryn said...

Mal, this was beautiful. Truly, it spoke to me on so many levels. I love it. It's your heart in a blog! :) Together we will save the children and the world! I can't wait!!