Saturday, January 24, 2009

My Own Kind of Beautiful

There was a Chinese New Year Celebration at the university yesterday. Dr. V asked those who went on the China trip to go. There was no question in my mind on if I was going or not. There was a free dinner after. Well, while there they had presentations and Dr. V comes up out of nowhere and asks us to speak on our experiences. I love those spontaneous moments when you’re asked to speak in public. It wasn’t too bad, and I ate a lot of food. It was great.

I just got an email from my mom with Mormonad videos. I have the “Be Your Own Kind of BEAUTIFUL” in my room. You got to love The New Era.

For one of the presentations they wanted pictures for a slideshow. While looking through some I found one I forgot all about. We were meeting with some important people at the sister school, and they were very generous. But this picture reminds me a little of that Mormonad.
If you can’t tell, the glasses are filled with beer, and my lonely glass of orange juice. It doesn’t get any different when you get older. There will always be times when you have to be different. It could even be when having dinner with élite Chinese men and having to use gestures and try to sign “No beer. Anything else?”. I went home last night to an empty house after turning down an invite to a typical college party, and it made me think. So many people do the same things. The same self destructive things. I love my friends and family. Although I don’t get the see them very often, I know they are doing things to make them different. Things that make them beautiful.

1 comment:

Bekah said...

Loved every singel thing about this post. You should submit it to the Ensign (no joke). Love you, Mally.