Thursday, October 8, 2009

Squishy the Fishy

Time to clean Squishy’s tank again... I’m a little surprised I haven’t mentioned Squishy before. We go way back, and are probably BFFs. I first met him when a roommate 2yrs ago brought him home in a little bowl. She thought of his name from Finding Nemo. It grew on me, and now I love telling the kids his name. They always wrinkle their faces and reply “Squishy, the fishy??”

I think a couple weeks later my roommate was cleaning the bowl, and it broke. That’s when I busted out my tank (which wouldn’t surprise those closest to me. That is a typical thing for me to have…for many reasons…most unknown to others). He loved his new home. You could see it in his swishing and swashing (what I interpret to be his smile…although bettas are rather aggressive…but that’s just how he shows affection).

He lived in the living room, and that’s when we made a strong connection. I’ve never known a fish to make me laugh out loud, or feel like he is doing something for me. After my roommate moved out, she left Squishy where he was strongly loved. After I moved out, he moved to where he was strongly loved.With me. Now, every morning he looks right at me, and smiles.

That’s my Squishy the Fishy
... Why do people make the strongest connections with the silliest things?...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you posted this and told me about it! I miss Squishy and you too! I was thinking about all those good times in the living room the other day and how you always would say how happy of a fish he was and how happy he made you :-) I'm glad you took him with you!! He's in good hands!!
Thanks again, Kayla

Jen said...

Haha, maybe Squishy and Napoleon can be friends...so long as Napoleon stops trying to escape his tank to conquer the world. His name may be too appropriate...

Our future pet shop needs beta fish in it