Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"they do exist!"

If there is anything these past few months should have taught me, it is that fairy tales don’t exist. I’ve caught myself hoping or daydreaming about something wonderful, and heroic happening in my life, and once I catch myself I try to say “what are you thinking? Life isn’t a fairytale.”

But I still don’t buy it! Life is what you make it, and sometimes it’s allowed to suck. It’s allowed to be hard, but you can’t keep feeling that way. When little glimmers of hope come up (sometimes in the form of a fairytale), feel it! Breathe it in! Experience it, and hope for a brighter day.

I do believe in fairytales; always have. I think that’s what has kept me sane my whole life. I like a line from an Emily Dickenson poem: “To much madness is divinest sense”. I think that’s why I relate to Alice in Wonderland so much. She doesn’t get caught up in the silly social qualms, but has her own monsters to slay. And by so doing, she is the heroine. Battle your demons, slay your dragons! Do whatever it is to fight for your happiness. Follow your dreams, and stay sensitive to reality, and someday you’ll have a happily ever after.

That’s my hope.

2 comments:

Jonathan and Sarah said...

you will have your happily ever after! keep dreaming,if you stop dreaming you might as well give up on life! i agree, fairy tales should be our lives! love ya!

Christyn Caryn said...

Beautiful. I truly needed to read that right now. I know how it feels to not believe. You are amazing and I can't wait for our adventures together!:)